Go To Search
Click to Home
How Do I?
Financial Assistance for Individuals
Stimulus Check Tool & Information for Non-Filers
One of the best ways to ensure you receive your stimulus check is to have filed your taxes. It is NOT TOO LATE to file them. The IRS has created an option to file for free. People who have not filed their taxes (non-filers), are encouraged to visit the IRS website.

This website has useful information about:
• Who is eligible for the Economic Impact Payment?
• Who will receive the Economic Impact Payment automatically without taking additional steps?
• Who should use the Non-Filers option.
• A Link for Non-Filers to File free of charge.
• Information You will Need to Provide
• What to Expect

If you did not file but are receiving social security through direct deposit, you do not need to file taxes. The bank account you use for social security will be used to deposit your stimulus check. If you receive a paper check for social security, you will get a stimulus paper check.
If you did not file taxes because your gross income does not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples) for 2019 and you are not receiving social security, you should file now to get your stimulus.


Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): Business Owners, Self-Employed, Independent Contractors, Gig Workers, People with Limited Work History, and Others

You can NOW apply for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) if you are any of the following: unemployed business owner, self-employed, independent contractor, gig worker, have limited work history, or someone not usually eligible for regular state unemployment insurance benefits.

As part of the Federal CARES Act, the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program provides up to 39 weeks of benefits, and can be retroactive starting on or after February 2, 2020, depending on your last day of work due to COVID-19.

Apply for PUA on the Employment Development Department (EDD) website. In order to apply for PUA, you must login or create an account. Due to high demand, you might need to try a few times.Not sure what benefits you qualify for? Refer to the COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits Guide.

If you are unsure if you are an independent contractor or an employee who could be eligible for benefits, file for regular Unemployment Insurance benefits and they will determine your eligibility.

Employment Development Department (EDD) Changes
  • At the Governor's direction, the Employment Development Department (EDD) call center is now open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 1-833-978-2511.
  • If your UI benefit certification form has dates for weeks ending March 14 through May 9, you do not need to certify or recertify for UI benefits. You can view the notice on their website.

Other Assistance
For individuals, the City is exploring ways to facilitate public access to federal grants that are and may become available.
  • The City is aware that, beginning March 17, 2020, ABC Unified School District Nutrition Services Department will provide packaged meal bags with a breakfast and lunch for anyone 18 years of age and under, and all adult transition students. Meal pick-up time will be from 11:00 am - noon. To find locations, click here.
  • The City continues to compassionately and proactively address the issue of homelessness, and will connect any homeless individuals in need with resources, including housing.
  • The City encourages residents to the visit the website of the State of California’s Department of Social Services, as well of the County of Los Angeles’ Department of Public Health for additional resources.

The City encourages residents to the visit the website of the State of California’s Department of Social Services, as well of the County of Los Angeles’ Department of Public Health for additional resources.
  • Click here for the State of California Department of Social Services
  • Click here for the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health
  • The City encourages residents to seek medical attention if they may have been exposed to COVID-19, and/or are experiencing any symptoms. For information on local healthcare providers, click here. (be sure to check for medical providers in your insurance network
  • For residents that are immigrants or have family members who are immigrants, the Los Angeles County Office of Immigrant Affairs has put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions with responses and links to resources, available here.
  • For those seeking services, additional information, and/or assistance with benefits as a result of COVID-19, the State has created a new resource page. For more information, click here.


The City is closely monitoring actions of the local utility companies with regard to service disconnections for those that have a financial hardship as the result of COVID-19.

SoCalGas is temporarily suspending service disconnects for customers who are having a hard time paying their bills. Additionally, SoCalGas is continuing to make essential and emergency service appointments, including reports of suspected natural gas leaks, carbon monoxide checks, gas meter turn-ons, natural gas outages, and pilot re-lights but is suspending some appliance check-ups and non-essential service calls. For more information,
click here.

Southern California Edison is temporarily suspending disconnections for customers unable to pay their bill. For more information,
click here.

Golden State Water is implementing a temporary moratorium on residential service disconnections for non-payment due to financial hardships until the COVID-19 situation is stabilized. For more information,
click here.

The Governor has issued an executive order restricting water shutoffs to homes and small businesses while the state responds to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Executive Order is back-dated to March 4, 2020, which allows for water services to be restored to occupied-residences.

Senator Dianne Feinstein's office has produced responses to frequently asked questions about the federal Coronavirus Aid, Response, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the federal relief bill signed on March 27. Please see links to these below:

FAQs for individuals: CLICK HERE

FAQs for veterans: CLICK HERE