Councilmember Tony Lima is a long-time businessman and resident of Artesia. He was born in the small village of Trapia de Aroeiras in Brazil. He moved to the united States in 1966 when he was about 21 years old.
The next year, Tony joined the U.S. Army and served his enlistment at Fort Ord in Monterey, California. Before joining the military, Tony lived briefly in Artesia.
After his enlistment, Tony hit the schools; first Long Beach City College, then Cal State University at Long Beach, where he studied Business Administration and Pacific Coast University, where he studied law. He concentrated on Real Estate, and opened Lima Realty on 187th Street, which he still operates today.
Over the years, Tony became very involved in various community organizations and service clubs.
Tony has served as:
• Vice President of the Artesia DES Portuguese Hall
• Chairman of the Lady of Fatima Festival
• President of Toastmasters Eclectic Dialectic
• President of the Artesia-Cerritos Rotary Club
As a member of Artesia’s City Council, Tony Lima is interested in increasing funding to improve public safety, representing citizens with diligence and respect, promoting job fairs and employment opportunities for Artesians, and improving youth and senior citizen programs.
Tony has served as mayor in 2009, during which time he oversaw South Street and 183rd Street beautification projects; as well as the renovation of Old Fire Station 30.
• Building & Safety Committee
• City Maintenance Committee
• Industrial Commercial Development Committee
• Conceptual Development Committee
• Rubbish Disposal Committee
• Sister City Committee
• Radio Television Artesia – Liaison
• Gateway Cities Council of Governments (COG) – President