The last thing anyone wants is to find their vehicle's window broken and items missing. The Sheriffs would like to remind you of a few simple but important steps to maintain your car's safety.
• Don’t leave valuables in your car! Drivers/passengers leave items of value in plain view every day. If you leave valuable items visible in your car, your car is automatically a target.
• If you must leave valuable items in your car while out and about, place items out of sight before reaching your destination, or move them inconspicuously.
• Record serial numbers of property you may leave inside your vehicle. If stolen, it makes it more likely the suspect, if he/she pawns the item, will be identified.
• Once home, unload your valuables immediately. Do not store valuables in your car any longer than necessary, and certainly never overnight.
• Park in busy, well-lighted areas, or in your garage (if you have one).
• Raise your windows and lock ALL of your vehicle’s doors, even if you plan to be gone for only a brief time. All too frequently, items are stolen from unlocked vehicles where the owner expected to be away for “just a second.” Thieves often target vehicles at gas stations, convenience stores, or parents dropping their children off at daycare centers and schools.
• Set any alarm or anti-theft device. If you have one, use it! Many people believe that car alarms no longer make a difference, but they can be an effective deterrent to an auto burglar.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR VEHICLE IS BURGLARIZED:
• As soon as you notice your vehicle has been burglarized, do not touch/adjust anything in, on or around the car. As soon as possible, call the Lakewood Sheriff’s Station to report the incident.
• If you see suspicious activity, call us immediately.
Remember that YOU are an important partner in the fight against crime!
Lakewood Sheriff’s Station provides law enforcement services to the cities of Paramount, Lakewood, Bellflower, Hawaiian Gardens, Artesia, and unincorporated communities in Long Beach and Cerritos.
You can partner to prevent or report crime by contacting Lakewood Sheriff’s Station at (562) 623-3500 to report suspicious activity. Or if you wish to remain anonymous, call “LA Crime Stoppers” by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), or text the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637,).